Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Swiss Chicken Casserole


I just made this for the first time. Either I was really hungry (and I was somewhat hungry) or this was really yummy.

I got the recipe from one of those Betty Crocker cooking magazines - the ones with the recipe cards that you can pull out. I am sucker for buying these in the checkout line. Usually, I end up disappointed with the recipes.

But this one was easy and turned out good. And again it was EASY. That was the best part.

Ingredients:

4 cups boiling water
2 boxes (6oz each) sundried tomato Florentine long grain and wild rice mix *
4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 slices of thickly-slice deli ham (about ten oz) **
1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper (I used the whole pepper diced)
4 slices (1oz each) Swiss cheese, cut in half

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 (3 quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Stir boiling water, rice, and rice seasoning mixes in baking dish.
3. Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise, wrap ham slice around each chicken piece. Stir bell pepper into rice. Placed wrapped chicken over rice. Cover with foil. Bake 40 to 45 minutes; uncover and bake about ten minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut.
4. Top each chicken breast with cheese. Bake uncovered 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.

* I could not find this box of rice and went instead with 2 boxes of plain long grain and wild rice mix. Tasted fine.
** Ask the deli person for the right kind of ham. I forgot the name of the one I used, but I asked for something that bakes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment